The job of a gutter guard on your gutter system is to prevent clogs from forming. The reason why this is needed is that we tend to forget about cleaning out our gutters. Our gutters are a place where rainwater flows from the roof and onto the ground without issues, but issues can occur when the gutters are clogged. Gutters can easily become clogged with twigs, leaves, and other debris, which is why gutter cleaning is so important. When a gutter clog is too big, it can cause water to overflow onto the roof and on the side of the house, causing leaks, water damage, wood rot, and structural damage to various areas of your home. This is why so many people invest in gutter guards–to prevent damages from happening, but many people want to know “Are gutter guards worth the money?” Below we will discuss what a gutter guard is, why they should be installed, and if they are really worth the money.
What Do Gutter Guards Do?
The role of the gutter guard is simple, which is to prevent things like leaves, twigs, and debris from collecting in your gutter system. The way that gutter guards are able to do this is with their mesh screens. These screens are installed on top of the gutter system, so that leaves, twigs, and other debris have no way of getting in the gutter. While the mesh screen doesn’t allow debris in, the holes in the mesh can still let water in. Even when there is a ton of debris like leaves, twigs, and acorns on top of the mesh screen, water is still able to flow easily into the gutter, down the system, and out through the downspout.
Because there are a lot of pine trees in Washington state, many people want to know “Do gutter guards work with pine needles?” and the answer is that pine needles will go through the mesh screens. However, while pine needles can go through the screens, they don’t really cause clogs like twigs and leaves because they are smaller and can easily flow out with the water. However, you should be aware of pine needles collecting at the bottom of your gutter systems downspout; clean that area so that a clog doesn’t form there.
Why Install Gutter Guards?
Because they are able to keep your gutter system clog free, gutter guards are becoming more and more popular. But what are some other benefits of gutter guards? Here are some of the benefits that come with installing gutter guards to your gutters.
- Gutter Cleaning is Easier: Gutter cleaning can be a real pain, but it doesn’t have to be when you have a gutter guard. A gutter guard makes cleaning a gutter system easier because it doesn’t require you digging in your gutter system. All you have to do is scrape the leaves, twigs, and other debris that is left on the surface of the mesh screen.
- Makes Cleaning Safer: When you clean your gutter system, you have to get on a ladder, put on gloves, goggles, a long-sleeve shirt, and more. Not only do you have to have a lot of equipment, but there is also the potential of hurting yourself by electrocuting yourself by a fallen wire or even cause damages to your gutters and other areas of your home. With gutter guards, it makes the task a lot faster so you don’t have to worry about hurting yourself.
- Can Save You Money: Because a gutter guard is used to prevent gutter clogs, it can actually save you money down the road. This is because when there is a clog in the gutter, it can cause roof leaks, water damage, structural damage, and even wood rot. You can avoid all of these things from happening by getting a gutter guard system installed.
- Prevents Icicles and Ice Dams: Since the gutter guard keeps leaves, twigs, and other debris out of the gutter, water is able to flow freely through the gutter. This is very beneficial because in the winter water can freeze and cause ice dams and icicles when water overflows onto the roof, but with a gutter guard, it can prevent icicles and ice dams from forming.
- Provides Home with Fire Protection: Things like twigs and leaves can make a fire spread a lot easier since these things can catch on fire with little effort. Because gutter guards keep leaves and twigs out of the gutters, it can prevent a fire from becoming worse.
While there are many benefits to gutter guards but do gutter guards cause problems? Some of the complaints are that you still have to clean the gutter system and that beehives can form underneath the gutter guard, but other than that they are very good systems that can protect your gutters and your home.
How Do You Clean Out the Gutter with Gutter Guards?
Although gutter guards take out a lot of cleaning the gutters, you still have to clean off what on top of the mesh screen. Just like you would clean a gutter, you will need to use gloves and a bucket to remove the debris. If there aren’t a lot of leaves or twigs on your gutter guards, you can always use a leaf blower to remove the leaves on top of the gutter guard system. It is important that you check the downspout of your gutter just to make sure that there are no clogs. Spraying water up the downspout can remove clogs and clean out the gutter system without having to take the gutter guard off.
Do Gutter Guards Really Work?
So back to the original question, are gutter guards a waste of money? if you want to reduce clogs in your gutters, make cleaning easier, and extend the life of your gutters, then investing in gutter guards is not a waste of money. Homeowners who are interested in a gutter guard always want to know, “Do any gutter guards really work?” and the answer is yes. Valor Gutter Guards use micro mesh screens, so leaves, twigs, and debris cannot get into the gutter system. Not only that, Valor offers other types of gutter guards such as Melt Away and Moss Away that melt icicles and ice dams away, as well as keeping moss and algae from growing on your roof. If you would like to learn more or you want a gutter guard installation in Auburn, WA, please call Gutter & Roof Solutions NW at (253) 218-3225!