When we think about getting a new roofing system, the most common type of roofing system we think about is asphalt shingle roofing. While this is a pretty popular roofing system, there are other types of roofing to choose from. One of the most beautiful and sturdy roofs that you can get for a residential property is a wood shake roof. There are wood shake roofs and wood shingles and the difference is that wood shake is going to have a rougher texture because they are hand split, whereas wood shingles are more smooth and the pieces will be sawed off. At Gutter & Roof Solutions NW, our roofers are able to provide wood shake roof installation in Auburn, WA, as well as installing wood shingles.
Some of the reasons that wood shake roofing is a great option for a home, especially in northwest Washington is that they are naturally beautiful, they are very durable, they are energy-efficient, and they are resistant to severe winds and weather. If this a type of roof that you are interested in for your home, we are able to offer you a free estimate. We want our former and future clients to be able to know what the upfront price is of a service, which is why we offer a free estimate. Our roofers are able to inspect your roofing system and see if this kind of roof is able to work with your home. To get more information or to schedule an appointment, dial (253) 218-3225.
Wood Shake Shingles Maintenance
Just because wood shake and shingle roofs are incredibly durable doesn’t mean that they can’t become damaged. In order to prevent issues from developing, sturdy roofs like wood shake will need maintenance. There are a few things that can happen to wood shake and shingle roofs when they don’t have the proper maintenance.
- Worn Material: There are a few ways in which a wood shake roof can become worn. The most common reasons for wood shake to become worn is because of wind, rain, and sun exposure. Each thing will cause different things to happen to your wood roof like the color changing, weathering away the material, cracking, and splitting.
- Fungi Growth: Different types of fungi can affect wood shake and shingles, so each fungus will do different things to the wood. Some fungus will change the color of the wood, while others will attack the actual structure of the wood, causing the wood to decay.
- Organism Growth: The two types of organisms that can impact a wood shake roof are moss and lichens. They can grow rapidly on a wood roof, and while they don’t hurt the roof, they can make them very dirty.
The best things that you can do to ensure your wood shake and shingle are in tip-top shape are to clean your gutters, trim tree branches that hang over your roof, and make sure that the attic has proper ventilation. For people who are not comfortable performing maintenance for their roof, please call us! We are able to offer maintenance, as well as wood shake roof installation in Auburn, WA.
Wood Shake Roof Repair
When homeowners don’t properly take care of their wood shake or shingle roof, it’s going to lead to problems for your roof. While weathered materials, fungi and organism growth are the most common things that can happen when maintenance is put off, there are other things that can happen that maintenance won’t be able to fix. Roof maintenance more often than not can fix an issue, but if it hasn’t been done in a while, then repairs might be needed. There are a couple of signs that indicate that roof repair is needed for your wood shake or shingle roof.
- If you have one or two leaks in your wood shake roof, then you will need to get repairs.
- There are a few wood shakes that are missing from the roof.
- Some of the shakes on the roofing system are broken.
- There are a couple of shakes that are starting to rot.
- The wood shake or shingle roof just doesn’t look very good.
If you think your wood shake or shingle roof needs repairs, then call us! We are able to inspect your wood shake roof and determine if repairs are needed. For wood shake roof installation or repair in Auburn, WA, get in touch with us today.
Wood Shake Roof Replacement
When wood shake roof maintenance or repair can’t fix the issues that your roofing system have, then the best solution for your roof will be a wood shake replacement. Normally, a wood shake or shingle roof will need to be replaced if there are multiple and persistent leaks, there is a section of wood shake or shingles missing, broken or rotting, and the shakes or shingles are frayed, cracked, splitting, or curling. However, our roofers will be able to examine your roof and determine if you need repairs or a complete roof replacement. We will never suggest a service that you don’t need, so if your roofing system is salvageable, then we will only provide roof repair service. However, if the roof is damaged beyond repair, we will need to replace the whole roof. If you need more information about repair, a replacement, or even our wood shake roof installation in Auburn, WA, please call our office at (253) 218-3225 to speak with one of our roofers.